Thursday, October 13, 2011

My day...with a cafeteria tour included!

The following is written by junior post player Kylie Black of Danville, AL.

A day in the life of me, Kylie Black, is pretty interesting.  I start my day off with breakfast at the ‘caf.’  I always have to get the cheese grits and eggs, very healthy I know.  There are many other things that are delicious in the caf but that is just my personal favorite.  After my breakfast of champions, I head to my first class, which is statistics.  My teacher has an unusual style but she teaches us exactly what we need to know and I actually enjoy the class.  Then after that class I head to my second class of the day, which is BP, or biblical perspectives.  This class is a core course that is required of every student attending Samford University.  My teacher for this class is very animated.  He makes reading the Bible an adventure and makes the story fit into our lives as college students.  He also says that he is the women’s basketball team’s favorite teacher because he has had so many of us in his classes.

After my BP class, I head to the caf for lunch.  There is usually about half the team in the caf so I never have to eat alone.  We have a plethora of food options for lunch.  There is a grill with grilled chicken, hamburgers, hotdogs, and things like that. Then there is a line with pizza.  The first month of my freshman year I ate pizza everyday, so I would say it’s the best thing they have.  Then there are two lines for “classic” foods which could be numerous things, from chicken to pork to fettuccine alfredo.  Then finally there is the “innovations” line which is where the special of the day is located.  It is usually pretty good.  There is also a salad bar and a dessert bar.  After the caf, I have another class, which is School of Music, and it is my favorite class this semester.  It is required for my major, elementary education and we sing and dance, and I will actually get to teach a lesson. 

(Kylie, right, at the women's basketball banquet with teammate Christy Robinson)

After my three classes I head to the gym for weights and conditioning, individuals, and pick-up, if its in the off season.  If its in season, we have practice and weights.  This is the time we are all together as a team, working to be better.  I enjoy the time that I have with my teammates.  It makes the running and lifting weights easier just knowing that they will have my back no matter how good or bad I do that day.  After practice or workouts has to be my favorite time of the whole day because it’s the time when the team can just chill and hangout.  We all head to the caf together and have dinner, which has about the same things for dinner as they do for lunch.  Then after we have eaten in the caf, we head back to the dorms to hangout or study.  It is the best time of the day.  We talk about how we do not know how we made it through that last 15 (our sprints!) or how funny it was when one of us fell during lay-ups.  We spend time together that is needed to be a good team.  My day at Samford is filled with school, basketball, and my teammates.  The three things in my life that I thank God for giving me the opportunity to experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment