Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The first month...as a freshman!

The following blog was written by freshman, Taylor Reece. Taylor (left) with teammates Christy Robinson and Kendall Schwantz comes to Samford from Brentwood, TN and just finished up her first month on campus!

My first month at Samford has been a complete whirlwind. So much is happening on campus at all hours, and it is difficult to keep up! Adjusting to college is definitely something that takes time. I am responsible for myself for the first time! It is a little scary, but Samford is such an incredible place with incredible people to help me out along the way. That is the most important thing I have learned over the past few weeks. I cannot expect to get everything right all the time because college is not something I am used to. I need to be encouraged and Samford is definitely a place where that happens consistently.

Basketball thus far has been a lot of hard work, but so much fun. Getting connected with the team has been a blast. Every girl on our team has a heart of gold and being with them everyday makes the tough workouts easier. Being a freshman comes with confusion about plays, weight training, well, really everything. These girls as well as the coaches have taken the time to help me and push me at the same time. Pre-season is coming to a close now and I am totally ready for practice and games to start up.

Being at college involves a lot more than I originally thought it would. I knew I would need to take the time to study and workout, but I completely forgot about making the time to clean my room or do my laundry. Those things were done for me and adjusting to that has been interesting. Also, managing my time has to be a conscious thing for me now, which it was not in high school, as Samford offers so many opportunities to get involved on campus, and I want to do them all! 

All in all, my experience thus far has been the best. I have made many new friends and I am getting into the swing of things in school and basketball. I look forward the rest of this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment