Monday, May 2, 2011

Jazmine Powers stepping up!

The following was a letter sent to our President about some of our student athletes...one of which was our very own Jazmine Powers! This letter makes you proud to be a Bulldog!

Dr. Westmoreland,

I'm sure as the days go by, you will receive many reports of how our Samford students are making a difference in the recovery efforts for the tornado victims. At this time, I will add mine to the growing pile.

Yesterday, I went to Pratt City to photograph our students helping out at Scott Elementary School. There were many students who showed up to sort clothes, haul water, prepare food. Jazmine Powers, a womens basketball player, came in with several football players to reload their truck with items to distribute in the community and offered for me to ride along. The students included Jazmine, Devyn Keith, Jeremy Towns, Jacobi Rodriguez, and Bill Kottas.
These students were so calm and so supportive of everyone they came in contact with as they passed out sandwiches, water, toilet paper and such. However, there was one moment in particular that stole my heart. A lady pulled up in her car and Devyn stopped her to see if she needed anything. She asked him if he was going to take care of her. He said, "No, ma'am. I can't take care of you. God's gonna take care of you. I'm just gonna help out." Well, that's all it took; the woman broke down crying in her car. The students reached in and hugged her and just let her cry it out. She said it was the first time she'd been able to cry since the tornado. Devyn loaded her up with sandwiches and other supplies and told her that he loved her and that everything was going to be alright.

I've had to cover several tornadoes for UPI and AP in my career. I've heard people calling out for their loved ones after the storm and watched people digging through the remains of their homes. However, I will say that I have never been so moved as I was at that moment with Devyn and the other students and that woman. They gave her alot more than sandwiches and toilet paper; they gave her hope and that's what those people need more than anything.

I have always felt that I was blessed to work on a campus filled with such amazing people, both faculty and students. But, I must say, that I have never been prouder to be associated with Samford University than I was yesterday. These students don't just help out for something to do; they truly care and as they leave Samford University and go out into the world, they will make all the difference.

God's Peace,
Caroline Summers
Senior Photographer
Samford University

No comments:

Post a Comment